Jiu Jitsu is all about making sure that you are never defenseless, regardless of where the fight goes or who you are fighting. Whether you are training Jiu Jitsu in Portland, OR, or are involved in a real life street fight, this Kimura from the Guard works in every situation because it does not require your opponent to wear a Gi or anything else you may have available in a practice situation. In this example, you are going for your opponents right hand, if you see an opening with the left hand, you simply reverse these instructions.
Portland Jiu Jitsu Techniques: The Kimura – The Breakdown
1. You start in the guard, with your opponents right hand placed on the ground
2. With your left hand, grab the right wrist of your opponent.
3. Sit up and reach over the opponent’s right shoulder with your right arm.
4. Move your left elbow up, position your right hand around the back of the right arm of your opponent
5. Grab your own left wrist, with your own hand with a solid grip
6. Roll to the right side
7. This takes your opponents arm over their own back
8. Immediately place your own left leg across the back of your opponent, this means they cannot roll towards you out of the hold
9. Alternatively, you can hook the legs of your opponent to make sure they do not come forward
10. To tighten the hold, you move your left hand to the right side of the head of your opponent
11. Finally you will see your opponent is sprawled out, making it virtually impossible for them to get back on their knees to roll out of the Kimura.
If you are training Jiu Jitsu, you will likely have been taught an offensive Kimura before, but a defensive one like this Kimura from the guard works great if you are trying to defend yourself from an opponent who managed to get on top of you.
Learn other Jiu Jitsu Techniques
The Helio Choke from the Guard
Learn Jiu jitsu techniques in Portland, OR