What is Muay Thai?
Muay Thai, also known as Thai boxing or kickboxing, is an ancient Martial Art form from Thailand. Muay Thai was introduced in the United States by Arjan Chai in 1968, the honored president and founder of the Thai Boxing Association of the USA. The purpose of Muay Thai training is to develop and enhance the body’s strength and coordination while learning to use the body’s tools for self-defense.
NWFA’s Portland, Oregon, Muay Thai Classes
Muay Thai kickboxing courses involve dynamic moves, drills, and combos to keep you engaged and challenged. The classes involve a variety of drills that fall into one or more of these categories:
- • Speed drills, which develop agility
- • Conditioning drills, which develop strength, endurance, and physical resilience
- • Rhythm drills, which develop a sense of range, position, and ease of flow between techniques
- • Timing drills, which put together everything you’ve learned and help you develop the ability to read an opponent and work techniques in response to the opportunities at hand
Our Portland, Oregon, Muay Thai courses provide an outstandingly effective workout. The sessions are always evolving to keep you engaged and motivated. With consistent training, you’ll enjoy improved strength, flexibility, greater bone density, and remarkable cardio endurance. While this training can result in the best physical fitness of your life, anyone can get started regardless of their current fitness levels. We have training options for all skill levels, from beginners to experts.
NWFA’s motto for Muay Thai classes is: “Intense, Challenging, Effective, & Exciting.”
What Will I Do in Muay Thai Kickboxing Classes?
NWFA teaches a unique series of Muay Thai training techniques that can help you improve your agility, reaction time, and striking techniques. Most importantly, our goal is to help you better learn self-defense and increase your inner strength.
- Thai Pad Workouts:
- Used to safely absorb the force of a kick or knee, Muay Thai pads are heavy padding strapped to the This workout develops skill, strength, and sense of range using simple fixed patterns.
- Thai Pad workouts will help you refine your transitions, increase your endurance, and quicken your reaction speed.
- Heavy Bag Workouts
- These workouts teach power and technique. You can deliver as much power as possible without being concerned for your training partner.
- You’ll develop fluid footwork and learn to constantly adjust your positioning. You’ll better your transitions and precision.
- You’ll improve your technique and speed.
- Focus Mitt Workouts
- These workouts are predominately focused on the hands and elbow strikes. This is a safe and excellent way to test your skills without the risk of injury.
- Focus Mitt workouts will primarily focus on hand speed drills both as a defensive maneuver as well as striking.
Muay Thai Glove Drills
Partner glove drills are used to develop your understanding of how to apply a series of strikes and counters and to train you to respond naturally to the unexpected nature of a real situation.
- You’ll practice defensive techniques where you’ll learn to isolate certain strikes and understand countering options
- You’ll practice several technique drills to look for common technical flaws. This will helpyou improve striking safety while looking for good opportunities to counter-strike
- You’ll learn partner technique flows in sequences of light strikes and effective counters. In turn, you’ll learn the correct range and timing of all the different strikes
Muay Thai Courses – Sparring
Timing Sparring: You’ll be challenged to respond to different techniques from your opponent. This is done with absolute control and trains you to analyze your partner and learn to read his cues. This level of training in the Muay Thai classes is absolutely safe.
Full Contact Sparring: The final step in the training sequence is to put on appropriate protective gear and work striking with speed and controlled power. The goal is to learn something new and improve every time you spar.
Benefits of Muay Thai Kickboxing
- Increased Cardiovascular Endurance
- Leg and Core Strength
- Joint Mobility and Flexibility
- Improved Agility
Contact us today to join our Portland, Oregon, Muay Thai classes.