One of the reasons that people often mention when they are asked why they train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu techniques may be surprising. It is the fact that it is not just about the physical, but the mental aspect as well. One of the best ways to make sure that you are going to get a particular choke is trying to make your opponent think you are setting them up for one Jiu Jitsu technique, while you are already thinking two moves ahead. This Side Sleeper from Cross Body is one such move. If you are a fan of mixed martial arts you may have actually seen this move applied before and know how incredibly effective it can be as a choke.
Jiu Jitsu Techniques: The Side Sleeper from Cross Body – The Breakdown
1. You are going to start from the cross body position
2. This means you are going to have a far side outer hook
3. Now your opponent is not a dummy (literally and figuratively) so in all likelihood they are going to struggle to get away from you
4. When they push your jaw line, this is when you have the chance to make your move
5. Take the hand of your opponent to release the pressure of your jaw line
6. Now you are going to let them push you, making them think they were actually successful
7. Pop away from their arm and swiftly drop it to the floor
8. Keep your head deep on the shoulder, lock it and apply the choke
9. You should now have the underhook in place, make sure that you have firm control so even if your opponent tries to drop their arm you still have the ability to move
10. Your opponent may try to struggle away from you, so it is important to keep their head down so use your hips to lock down when your opponent tries to roll you off.
Jiu Jitsu Techniques: The Side Sleeper from Cross Body – The Video
Learn how to do the standing Guillotine Choke