If you’ve been looking for a way to amp up your physical activity, then it’s time to leave your gym’s standard exercise machines behind. Instead of yet another round on the elliptical, sign up for a fitness class that will get your heart pumping for the right reasons. Perhaps you considered Yoga or Jiu Jitsu but felt like neither would offer everything you wanted. Whether you want an amazing cross-training workout or simply want to take your cardio up a notch, the benefits of kickboxing are undeniable. If you’re ready to get more from your workout, here are five reasons to consider signing up for kickboxing classes at your local martial arts studio:
- You’ll Tone Up and Lose Weight: Around 6.9 million people participated in kickboxing in 2016. And while the possibility for weight loss isn’t the only reason to take up kickboxing, it’s definitely one of the biggest perks. According to experts, kickboxing can allow you to burn 700 to 800 calories per hour or more. It’s a high-octane cardio workout that allows you to effectively burn fat and build muscle in your core. If you want to tone your body and shed some extra pounds, kickboxing classes are definitely a great way to do it.
- You’ll Relieve Some Stress: Generally speaking, any type of fitness will provide some much-needed stress relief. After all, working out will allow you to release endorphins and improve your mood. But kickboxing, in particular, provides an outlet for your aggression and anxiety. When you’re able to kick and hit the punching bag in a safe way, you can relieve your frustrations from the day. As a bonus, you’ll probably sleep more soundly and feel more productive as a result.
- You’ll Boost Your Energy and Confidence: You might assume kickboxing classes would tire you out — and you definitely will feel the effects of this workout. But your energy levels will actually improve once you start participating. You’ll improve your circulation, increase your heart rate, and will generally feel more invigorated throughout the day. Plus, once you start taking charge of your own power during kickboxing classes, you’ll feel your sense of confidence start to grow. You’ll feel strong, accomplished, and ready to take on any task — a shift that can impact all areas of your life, both in and out of the studio or gym.
- You’ll Improve Your Balance and Coordination: For those who have poor posture, slow coordination, or balance that’s lacking, kickboxing can be an excellent way to improve in these areas. You’ll be able to target muscle groups that are normally neglected, thus alleviating soreness and bettering your stance. The exercises you do in kickboxing will allow you to improve your overall coordination and balance while you engage your core and focus on very specific moves. You’ll feel much more solid and much more focused in the way you execute your routine and in the way you move throughout your everyday life.
- You’ll Learn How to Defend Yourself: While you can learn principles of self-defense in Jiu Jitsu or Muay Thai, these aren’t the only classes that can help you take charge of your own safety. Kickboxing focuses on similar ideas by engaging certain parts of your body to execute set moves. These moves can easily be transferred into “real life” to help you stay safe in a dangerous situation. If you’re especially interested in learning self-defense, you should probably supplement these teachings with other disciplines; however, it’s a great way to get started, feel connected to your body, and pique your interest in this area.
Interested in finding out more about the classes in kickboxing Portland residents can’t get enough of? Contact us today for additional information.