Jiu Jitsu Training for Fitness & Confidence
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) training at NWFA provides an outstanding, whole-body workout! Our classes engage the whole body in every movement. This leads to a high level of muscle conditioning and toning.
The classes are always challenging and fun regardless of skill level. Most of our members are training to feel and look their best. Our members grew tired of failed gym workouts and the same old treadmill routine. Now, they aren’t just reaching their fitness goals—they’re surpassing them! Plus, members are learning practical, tested, real self-defense skills.
What Happens in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Training?
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a beautiful and deadly art with many benefits, including:
- Jiu Jitsu places emphasis on correct form and technique over speed and strength. It teaches you to overpower your opponent with minimal force thus helping you conserve energy.
- Through intensive training and conditioning, the series of BJJ techniques become ingrained in muscle memory.
- Students of our Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes learn to use their opponents force against them, enabling them to overcome people much stronger than themselves.
- Endurance building is another key component of BJJ courses. BJJ training involves working on strategy, i.e.figuring out a set of methods uniquely appropriate for each trainee based on his strengths and weaknesses, providing him with greatest chances of success.
At NWFA, you will learn from expert instructors who will help build your physical and mental strength. Our BJJ instructors provide the much-needed outside perspective through which they recognize your weaknesses, help hone your strengths and prepare you for combat situations.
What to Expect in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Classes
Phase 1: Warm Up
During the warm-up phase you will be doing a variety of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training–specific conditioning exercises to develop whole body strength and flexibility. The warm-up phase elevates the heart rate and warms up the muscles. You will also work on rolls, falls and other agility training to ensure that you have the proper rolling technique.
Phase 2: Focus On Technique
We train members on the technique that matches their level of curriculum. Members are grouped based on skill level, so beginners are paired with beginners and same for advanced level members. Your partner will challenge you on the same level, helping you to better refine your skills.
Phase 3: Free Roll
During the free roll phase of our Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training sessions, we work on your techniques against resistance. You will learn to apply your skill against uncooperative opponents/assailants. At this point you rotate through several partners and test yourself against a variety of body types and strength levels. Though this is a free rolling session, safety is always the highest priority. This is not a required phase, as you progress through your training, you can join the free roll stage when you feel comfortable with your skill level.
Benefits of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Aside from the many physical benefits of starting to train in BJJ, there are mental and practical benefits to learning and perfecting the BJJ technique.
- Self Defense: you’ll ultimately learn how to use your opponent’s strength and weight against them, which can be crucial in times of need.
- Fitness: you’ll work every part of your body. So much that you’ll have trouble walking out of the gym.
- Patience: you won’t immediately become a BJJ master; in fact, you can never stop learning more about the art. It’s a process that takes practice, patience and time to understand and perfect the technique.
Learn more about starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training at our Portland gym today – call us at 503-235-3435.