Eight Silken Brocades Qigong – Commencement:
- Stand with your feet together, your hands lightly resting at your sides.
Then step out with the right foot to the right corner. The hands raise and your right hand to the center of your chest and form a fist with the forearm angled down at forty-five degrees. The left palm is straight and rests on the front of the right fist.
- Turn the waist to the front and step into a cat stance with the left foot.
- Step back with the left toe and push the fingertips of both hands forward, turning the palms out, until the backs of the hands are pressing together.
- As you shift the weight back the fingertips circle down and then up the center line of your body. The palms rotate to face the ceiling as the hands circle out from the body.
- As you step the right foot back next to the left, the hands draw in and form fists at the lower ribs on each side of the body. Relax the arms down to the sides.
- Step to shoulder width.
Eight Silken Brocades Qigong – Preparation Breath One:
- Inhale as the hands circle out from the sides of the body, past the shoulders. Finish the inhale as the palms seal while reaching straight up above the crown of the head. In this mudra there should not be excess tension in the arms but the hands should press together firmly enough to leave no gap all the way around the palm.
- Exhale as you draw the hands down your center line to the middle of the chest.
- Hold this position for three or more breaths while focusing the mind on a positive external thought.
Eight Silken Brocades Qigong – Preparation Breath Two:
- Inhale as the sealed hands move up your center line. When the arms are extended above the head the hands separate and open to the sides, sinking toward the ground.
- Begin the exhale as the arms pass shoulder height. They continue to circle down and in until they are palm up at the height of the lower Dan Tian. They form a mudra with the left hand resting in the right palm. The tips of the thumbs touch lightly.
- Hold this position for three or more breaths while focusing on a positive externally or personally directed thought.
Eight Silken Brocades Qigong– Preparation Breath Three:
- Inhale, drawing the hands apart and up in front of the torso with your breath.
- Exhale when the arms reach shoulder height and sink the hands back down in front of the body, retuning them to your sides.
- Repeat all three preparation breaths three or more times.
Next movement in the Eight Silken Brocades Qigong: Holding Up the Sky
This information is meant for reference and to give an idea of the details involved in all of Eight Brocades qigong movements. In order to receive the benefits of an internal arts practice it is vital that you seek qualified instruction.
If you are in the Portland, OR area and would like to know more about learning Qigong. Contact us here.
If you are outside of Portland and would like information about our seminars or instructorship please visit this page: Martial Arts Seminars & Instructorship